Founder + Director Non-Profit Community Arts Program
Tucson, Arizona, Oct. 2008- Oct 2009
PLAY, was a project of Dinnerware Arts. PLAY was a non-profit gallery, boutique and performance venue, located in Tucson Arizona, aiming to support emerging and established artists of all mediums and working towards establishing a thriving downtown community. Directing and managing a variety of art showings and gallery spaces.
The primary objective of PLAY was to inspire, engage and encourage artists of any kind, talent, age, gender, race or skill level to participate in themed group shows. Through the distribution of homework assignments, or "PLAYworks" as we called them, artists were given the opporunity to create and then show new works each month. We felt that Tucson, at the time, lacked a viable outlet for artists to interact, learn, play and network without having to be subjected to applications, fees and jurys.
- Providing positive, empowering experiences
- Redefining and broadening the concepts of art as an essential element to the expression of life, culture and independent and social responsibility
- Create an educational and interactive space that connects the individual to the environment, the arts, the creative self and teaching creative exchange between members of the community
- Ability to provide new opportunities to under represented artists and forms of artistic expression
- Providing a community gathering space
- Arts showings
- Artisan trade showings
- Interactive art events
- Kid days/programs
- and many more PLAY dates
Inspiration . Creation . Connection
164 individual puzzle pieces were handed out to the community and the artist we encourged at "go crazy" with the art they create for each piece. Several artists contributed many pieces to the puzzle. Over all over 100 artists across the Tucson community participated in this project.
Details of Puzzle Pieces: click next for more.
For Media Press on PLAY, Visit these Sites:
To see the archived Website. visit here: http://www.folio101.com/playarts/nav.html
Media and Event Flier Examples: